This Saturday, John Medeski returns to the Cervantes Masterpiece Ballroom with his super funky group Mad Skillet. Composed of Medeski as well as Will Bernard, Kirk Joseph, and Terence Higgins, Mad Skillet’s debut performance was at a late night JazzFest afterparty in 2015. Since then, they’ve toured coast to coast as well as releasing a self-titled album in December of 2018.
As most readers will know, John Medeski is a legendary keys player that has toured with some of the biggest acts in live music. We decided to take a look back at some of the musicians he’s played with in the past:
- As a teenager, Medeski performed multiple times with bassist Jaco Pastorius
- He is probably best known as ⅓ member of Martin, Medeski & Wood, an avant-jazz-funk band that started in 1991 and has toured extensively (fun fact: Chris Wood, who played bass in MMW, later went on to form the Wood Brothers with his brother Oliver Wood)
- MMW has collaborated with Trey Anastasio, Iggy Pop, and John Scofield
- Medeski produced and was featured on the Dirty Dozen Brass Band’s album “Buckjump”
- Medeski formed The Word, a band consisting of members of Robert Randolph and the Family Band
- He has occasionally performed with Phil Lesh and Friends
With such an amazing track record, featuring some of the most talented musicians of the 20th century, it’s hard to imagine John Medeski’s Mad Skillet is playing such an intimate room as Cervantes. Don’t miss out on this deliciously funky show by purchasing tickets HERE.
- Two Nights of String Mountain Revival Kicks off Tonight at Cervantes!
- The Greyboy Allstars Bring West Coast Boogaloo Mile High